Friday, November 28, 2008

7 things...

cb and jj

We have received the challenge to reveal 7 things about ourselves from the witty and stylish 
A-M. The challenge goes like this...

Share 7 things about yourself. Challenge 7 other blogs at the end of your post through naming their blog, and post a link to it. Let them know they have been challenged by leaving a comment in their blog.

We are bravely going to give it a shot. As there are three of us at mondo cherry, we are combining a few - you might still need a cuppa to read this post though!

1. To start at the beginning, a very good place to start... Susieq (mum) met Dad at a drive-in cinema in Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. They both turned up on motorbikes, parked next to each other and the rest is history. Susieq was teaching over there and Dad was working in a Game Selous  (Game Reserve) as a civil engineer. He has complained that he has never made it in to our blog, so here is a photo of him (far left) in his hippy Uni days.

And here is a photo of susieq in her college days - she was quite a poser then!

2.  Weddings... Susieq flew back to the UK for her very cold January wedding, having left her Mum to do all the organising. She met half of Dad's family for the first time after the ceremony. She then proceeded to get the flu and Dad spent most of the honeymoon playing scrabble with a BBC crew staying in the same hotel.  JJ and I both had hair and make-up disasters on the morning of our weddings. An hour before my wedding we were scrubbing off the clownish make-up that had been applied by a fairly dodgy make up artist who had brought only one shade of foundation for 4 different skin types.  JJ hated the way the hairdresser had done her hair for her wedding so much that half an hour before the car was to leave to take her to the Church she was bending over the bath washing it. Thankfully the veil covered our dodgy styling job!

3. Creativity... All our creativity originates from susieq who was absolutely the ultimate mother. We didn't have any tv until we were teenagers and instead we regularly used to do tie-dying, sewing and paper crafts. She was the one who taught us that if you are going to do something you have to do it properly and that everything looks better with a border. 

4. Food.... JJ and I both have serious chocolate addictions and have been known to raid the cooking chocolate when we have run out of the real stuff.  Susieq does not function unless she has a cup of tea and half a digestive biscuit before getting out of bed. In fact, even a quarter of a biscuit will do.

5.  Collections... too many to list! Susieq, over the years, has collected everything from blue and white china, shells and pressed flowers to the little hotel body lotions and shampoos (she'll hate it that I wrote that!). JJ loves her hearts, bird ornaments and cushions. I have a huge collection of Ravensburger puzzles (up to 1000 pieces only - there has to be limits!) that I have picked up from garage sales and charity shops. Don't know what I am going to do now my cupboard is full.

6. Pregnancy... JJ had to eat up to 5 packets of fruit tingles a day washed down with ginger bear. It was all she felt like for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I put on over 30 kgs while pregnant with each of my five children, which thankfully I have been able to get rid of. That makes a grand total of about 163 kgs which would make me the biggest loser! Susieq had the pleasure of giving birth to JJ and I in Mauritus (I was the only baby born at the Naval Hospital there) and to our little brother in Papua New Guinea under fairly primitive conditions. We didn't keep him locked up like this all the time!

7. Sisters... There is only one thing that has ever made JJ and I come to blows and that is a dolly pushchair. When we were about 6 and 4, Father Christmas gave us each a pushchair for our dolls, one red and white striped and one blue and white striped.  We each think that we were the one that had the blue one. Mysteriously, no photos exist to confirm the true owner and it is still a bone of contention 28 years later!

So there we go. Hope we haven't scared you off, we really are quite normal actually.  

Now to pass this challenge on. Some of you might have done this before, but we would love to learn more about the lovely authors of


A-M said...

Oh I LOVE your post... I'm so excited that this is going around... it's so wonderful to learn a little bit more about ones cyber friends. Ooooh Susi Q you are a groover, what a great Mum... look at the joy all your arts and crafts sessions are now bringing all of us.... that reminds me I need more cards... must go shopping. Your wedding story is every girls nightmare... I would have also had tear streaks from crying! Thank you so much for playing along! A-M xx

Kimberlee said...

Oh ladies - don't you worry - I don't have a problem AT ALL talking about myself and will be able to come up with something - thanks for the tags!

I loved loved loved your post! My sister has just been in Dar es Salaam visiting family friends! She is desperate to go back and has been invited to work over there.

The old photos are priceless, thank you for sharing a small bite of you with us! xx

viera said...

I loved reading your post and to find out about you girls more.
Thank you for thinking of me....I am very flattered, I am definitely up for the challenge despite it will take some time!

Millie said...

Well you gorgeous girls had me rocking with laughter - great post! What about the pic of the amazing Susie Q - what a stunner, no wonder your Dad couldn't resist. Thanks for the tag, will try & throw something together this week.
Millie ^_^

Anonymous said...

I've just been looking through a few of your old posts for inspiration and saw this photo of you JJ as a little girl..I thought I was looking at Sienna!! Spitting image! Just gorgeous. And I'm a bit addiction to your blog now too. Love Nelle