Tuesday, November 4, 2008

blooming...



I have been driving around Brisbane feeling rather tense for the last month or so and couldn't work out why. It finally dawned on me that it was because the spectacular Jacaranda trees have been in bloom. Now, it has been a long time since my University days (Science/Law - what was I thinking!), but when I was studying the general feeling around the campus was that if you hadn't started cramming by the time the Jacarandas bloomed you were in deep trouble (or words to that effect). Even though I have no essays to write, no tutorials to prepare for and no exams to study for, I still feel as though I should have my head in a text book! So glad those days are over. It is a shame that these beautiful trees have such a negative association in my mind as they are just the most amazing blue/mauve/purple colour and they look so lovely against a really blue sky.

3 comments:

A-M said...

Oh me too. 25 years later and the jacarandas still bring back very intense feelings and I still have the cramming dreams too! I still can't see the beauty for the memories... aah swot vac.... I'd rather stick pins in my eyes! A-M xx

Kimberlee said...

oh my goodness! As soon as I saw the photos of the Jacaranda I thought of my mum (she grew up in Brisbane) and she said that whenever she sees them in bloom she thinks of school exams - so to then read your thoughts and feelings as well - amazing!! Isn't it funny how things evoke such memories! xx

viera said...

I love jacarandas. I spend my uni years in Europe so not bad feeling against these beautiful trees.
X
V