Friday, December 12, 2008

my snowflake tree...


Here, as promised, are some photos of my snowflake tree which still looks a little lonely without a pile of presents underneath. (Isn't it difficult to get a great photo of a Christmas tree? Either the tree looks washed out and you can't see the lights, or it is all sparkly but very dark. I think I need to read my camera manuel again!) I have a large of collection of snowflakes which I only buy in silver and white, with the occasional hint of light blue. I purchase just one of each type so all of the snowflakes are unique, just like real ones. I love their shape and the way they sparkle with the fairy lights. They are made of so many different materials including beads, glass, crochet, paper, and metal. Friends and family have generously given me some very special ones from all over the world including Europe, Canada, Dubai and Singapore. I am completely unable to choose any favourites - even the less beautiful or the really cheap ones look stunning when displayed in a large group like this.

In order to have a tree entirely decorated with snowflakes, we have two more smaller trees, one for my sons and one for my daughters. They are allowed to decorate these any way they wish. One year when the boys were small, they insisted on hanging all their dress-up tails on their tree. This year they have all their small Lego figures hiding among the baubles. The girls tend to drape their tree with jewellery and other sparkly bits and pieces that they, like little magpies, collect from around the house. Both of these smaller trees also have all of the special ornaments that the children have made at school and Kindy, and other sentimental ornaments that we have.

Every now and then I get a bit sad that we have artificial trees as I love the smell of a real Christmas tree. I do find that it is so much easier with the children not to have to be cleaning up pine needles but I think the main reason is that I get to enjoy all my decorations for the whole month of December. Which one do you use?

Pop over to Swish and Swanky to read more about my Christmas traditions - she is doing a great series on Christmas interviews with various bloggers and she kindly asked me to join in.

7 comments:

Romana said...

gorgeous collection of ornaments! We go for a real tree - I too love the smell (although it was nearly ruined this year, I just blogged about it!).

viera said...

You have such a beautiful collection of snowflakes! So special.
This year for the first time here in Australia a go for real tree. I am picking it up next Thursday so its freshest possible and I hope it will last. In Europe we always had a real one. Nothing can beat the smell (not even Crabtree & Evelyn candle). In our tradition we decorate our Christmas tree just on 23 and have a big Christmas Eve celebration with presents.
Have a great weekend!
XXX
V

A-M said...

What a wonderful idea... collecting snowflakes....your tree looks gorgeous. A-M xx

Catherine said...

Your tree looks fabulous! You always have such original and creative ideas - I love the idea of a snowflake theme AND the idea of the kids having their own trees to decorate too.

Millie said...

Very stylish, love the snowflake idea, could only come from a Queenslander!
Millie ^_^

Kimberlee said...

Just gorgeous gorgeous! xx

Bespoke Press said...

What a beautiful collection of snow flakes full of many memories! just beautiful!