Tuesday, February 3, 2009

what was I thinking...


Signing up for adult ballet classes seemed like a great idea at the end of last year. But, with my first lesson tonight, I will admit to feeling rather nervous. It has been 17 long years since I last did ballet and, five children later, my body is not nearly as supple as it used to be. I'm not sure how my memory for the steps is going to hold up either. At least I have earned some brownie points with my daughters, who are very impressed that I will be dancing like them, and had very wide eyes when I unearthed my old ballet bag full of rather smelly pointe shoes (not that I can cram my feet in to them any more!). They were slightly less enthusiastic about the leg warmers I used to wear. I think I might leave those in the bag tonight!

I am hoping the teacher won't be like one JJ and I had when we were in high school who used to tell us how she danced in Covent Garden with Margot Fonteyn and who used her cane to tap bottoms and stomachs that weren't pulled in enough!

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Millie said...

Hey Clare - I loved this post! Imagining those groovy leg-warmers I can't stop humming the music to Flashdance now! Great that you've enrolled in classes - you go girl.
Millie ^_^

Catherine said...

Wow! There's a whole other side to you Clare that we just never knew about! Good luck, have fun, and go for it!

please sir said...

I think it's great you are doing that. Having something to yourself and revitalize a former passion. I say go for it - you will do great!

happy sparrow said...

Clare! Have a really fun time - that is so awesome!
:) Martine

Kimberlee said...

get out, seriously? You are AMAZING! Good on you!!! I took ballet classes years ago and loved them. i was always hopeless but sport but not too bad at dancing. You are inspiring, go girl! x

Little Diva said...

Wow, that brings back some memories. I still have my old pointe shoes, tap shoes, jazz shoes etc too. My 4 year old girls just love it as I still have quite a few of my old costumes - even one from a little tap number I did in an eistedford when I was about 7 !!

Good on you...