Tuesday, June 30, 2009

many hands...


The well known saying 'many hands make light work' does not apply in school holidays! While I love not having to pack lunch boxes and rush my 5 in and out the car (JJ's 2 kids are too small for school yet), there is no denying that trying to get some mondo work done becomes a huge task. At any one time it seems as though someone has either hurt themselves, is hungry or needs a nappy change! Lots of food helps enormously though.


And the kids aren't the only ones to feel better after eating something yummy. Having seen a photo and rave review of a Macadamia Prune and Port Cake on Millie's lovely blog, and following the link to fellow Queenslander Anna's blog for the old family recipe - thanks Anna!) JJ cooked it last week for some friends. It was such a hit I insisted she make it again for me to try. Describing it as delicious doesn't do it nearly enough justice - served warm with cream on the side it is divine and one of the best home made cakes I have ever had. The best bit is that because of the prunes and the port it is quite an adult cake, not one we needed to share with the kids. Hooray!
The combination of 7 children playing and 2 adults cutting and sewing, has made it look as though a hurricane has swept through JJ's spotless house (many hands make a huge mess) and she is having heart palpitations.... Better go and start tidying up!

8 comments:

Kylie said...

Fabulous post! What a lovely photo of all those little hands. Thanks for the cake recipe link too! :) K

Helenna said...

I think making the lunch boxes is much simpler than listening to the fridge and pantry being opened every 2 seconds. OK, maybe every 5 seconds then. The cake does look lovely.... maybe it's time for the girls to make it for a little picnic in the garden.

Anne @ The City Sage said...

That sounds SO yummy! It looks really moist too...

If you try the coconut bars i posted today, maybe go for digestive biscuits in place of graham crackers? also, hobnobs would be really tasty...

Of course I'm always happy to put some graham crackers in the mail too!

A-M said...

What a sweet photo! I am finding the constant hunger a challenge... during these school holidays. You are so right, there is always someone hungry or INJURED. My boys have a new friend over each day so I try to work in between whipping up batches of biscuits, washing pool towels, breaking up play fights etc.
Still, I love having them around me and I love that they are having a break from the rigours of school. There is nothing more joyous than a carefree child. A-M xx PS I'm gonna bake that cake!

Beach Vintage said...

School holidays are so fun aren't they. But at least you can cook a yummy treat. I mostly burn mine.

Lee said...

I love having my son home with me on the holidays, however the refrain 'what can I eat?' does wear me down a bit, but you're right, it does beat the morning lunch box & drop off rush! Lee :)

Millie said...

So glad you girls have tried Anna's cake - it truly lives up to all the hype! In fact I've got a bag of prunes soaking in the port as I write this, as MOTH wants another one this w/end. He reckons we could go into production & flog them at the local Stirling Market -yeah right!
Millie ^_^

Kimberlee said...

that first image is just fabulous - love it! make sure it is printed out and put in an album! xx

um, that cake looks AMAZING! Very 'impressive' on the eye as I guess it is also in the mouth! he he xxx