Monday, August 17, 2009

a touch of normality...


We are renovating our house at the moment. Painting the peeling and cracked paint on the walls has well and truly started, and it is going to be a long process. My resourceful husband is learning on the job having never done much painting before - we have lived in rentals for all of our married life together. Most of the work has to be done at night after the kids are in bed as otherwise we have 5 eager little trades-men and women begging to 'help'! I'm not much more use to be honest - my 7 month pregnant body is not up to climbing any ladders to cut in near the high ceilings, and if I crouch down to do the low work it takes me close to half an hour to hoist myself back up!

Consequently, I am looking at the sofas draped with sheets and the furniture all crowded together in the middle of the room with a resigned "no entertaining for a while" viewpoint. Feeling rather frustrated this morning, I raided the garden for a bit of prettiness to take my mind off the mess and found this beautiful Poinsettia. Displayed on a chest of drawers in the bedroom, along with a gorgeous birdcage that JJ gave me for Christmas a few years ago in which I keep all my perfumes and a mondo cherry 'experiment', it is a little bit of normality.

All the chaos will be worth the end result, I know. Already the living room looks so much bigger and fresher and I can't wait to start on re-decorating it... might need the odd shopping trip... maybe a cushion or two... but don't tell my hubby!

8 comments:

Ann said...

Good luck on your renovation...it is quite an exciting and challenging task. Do share photos when you're done.

A-M said...

Yes that's the trick. A pretty little corner of normality amidst all the chaos. Now all us renovation junkies are going to be screaming for photos! A-M xx

Lee said...

What a beautiful little vignette!

When it comes to renovating, my husband has a saying: "It's going to get worse before it gets better". In other words, we have to suffer through the crap so we can make it look beautiful. I am sure your home will be very beautiful when the painting is finished. Lee :)

viera said...

You will get there and everything will be just beautiful.
Take care
XX
V

Shaz said...

I like your "little experiment" - I am presuming it is the frame. It's gorgeous.

Beach Vintage said...

I love what you have done here. Looks wonderful.

Brabourne Farm said...

Love your red and white tablescape - it looks fabulous. How exciting to be starting your renovations - can't wait to see the finished photos! Leigh

Boutique Markets said...

Love the red! Think it will do the trick just perfectly!

Rachael