Thursday, January 28, 2010

getting back to nature...

This morning, after dropping 4 of my 6 kids at their new school, my mother-in-law and I took a trip to Samford. Although it is just 21kms from Brisbane city, it seems a world away with big acreage properties and a small community feel. We visited Lifestyle Garden Centre which also has a gift shop, cafe and day spa onsite. I love this tea area where you can tether your horse and refresh yourselves together - although my horse riding has been limited to a couple of pony rides on an English beach many years ago, I quite fancy the idea of riding through valleys and fields for a nice cuppa or a 'skinny latte with one'.

We sat in the cafe proper for our refreshments, but even there we felt very close to nature as these amazingly tame water dragons were scurrying all over the floor while we ate. One even sat on my feet - my MIL and I had our feet up on chairs pretty quick smart after that!


We finished our outing with a leisurely browse through the gift shop (a luxury after school holidays when a trip out meant taking all the kids too). I know I'm super blessed to have such a lovely mother-in-law (and father-in-law) with whom I enjoy spending time with. Does the thought of an outing with your in-laws fill you with joy or horror?

8 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

Picking up all these great tips on Brisbane, thanks!! My 4 don't go back to school until next Tuesday, we're riding out the rest of the holidays happily at home in Canberra, with swimming & last minute shoe inspections. Sounds like you had a lovely day. Wish my mother-in-law was still around, i think she'd like my children & cafe trips together. Love Posie

Anonymous said...

I am lucky too my MIL is lovely

Sharnel said...

Oh you've made me all nostalgic! I spent my first 17 years of life in Samford and I adore the place. Don't have a bad word to say about it!
I'm now back on acreage again in Gumdale. It's beautiful, but nothing like Samford.
Love love love!

Rachael said...

We drove out there last weekend, it is lovely isn't it, rolling green hills, white timber fences.....just lovely!

Rachael

Tamsyn said...

Sounds like a great place to visit, I think I will take my Mum next time she comes to visit.

I am lucky enough to have a great mil too. She is so easy to get aling with and a very caring and generous person :)

the happy sparrow said...

Oh Clare! A morning out in Samford does wonders for your soul! Dan and I were considering going there this morning (but the weather was really hot!) It looks like you had a wonderful morning out! Hope your kids are enjoying their new school!
Love Martine

Shelley said...

I'll have to check out this place, we live Brisbane north side, but having moved from Adelaide 2 years ago, we are still finding all the charming little places! I think my girls would adore this, at 5 and 9 they are in love with garden centres!

Millie said...

Hope all the Cherry Pips & their Mum have settled in to their new school. You are lucky with your MIL, mine would have arrived at the Garden Centre on her broomstick!
Millie ^_^