Thursday, January 21, 2010

the magic of growing up...


It is no secret we love children's vintage books - the old fashioned wording and the distinctive illustrations are so appealing. Occasionally we find one that we totally fall in love with. The Magic of Growing Up is a little red hard backed book, written by Dean Walley, illustrated by Lois Jackson and published in 1968 and it is just so sweet and whimsical we just about cried when we read it! This post would be too long to include all of the cute drawings but it is the words that really captured us so we have copied them out for you below ... they just don't write books like this any more!


"Some morning you're going to wake up to a strange discovery.
Your toes are farther away.
The magic has begun...
It's the magic of growing up!
Maybe you've grown clear up to the fishbowl...
or even...
the cookie jar!!
Growing up plays tricks on you...
Suddenly your sleeves won't reach and last year's boots are much too small.
Baths take much longer because there's so much more of you to wash.
Remember all the things you couldn't do because you were too little?
Because you're growing up, now you're big enough to cross the street by yourself.
Best of all...
Now you can buy things!
Because you're growing up so much you have new jobs, like taking care of those who are still very little.
Growing up brings new friends who are still growing too ...
But not as fast as you!
As you grow up, you begin to explore the world outside of your house and yard.
It may seem strange at first.
You may even think, just for a minute, "Oh, I'd much rather stay a little."
But you won't feel that way for long.
The magic of growing up makes everything new...
especially YOU!
Growing up makes the flowers smell sweeter and the sky look wider.
It makes you want to run and dance...
and dream!
And growing up fills you with happiness when you're with someone very special, because the magic has touched you both.
If you ever think the magic of growing up may be over for you some day, don't worry...
If you keep watching the world around you grow...
If you dream and search and grow a little inside every day...
the magic of growing up will stay in your heart forever."

Do you remember the day you could first reach the cookie jar? Hope you are enjoying your 'growing up' today!

9 comments:

Beach Vintage said...

These illustrations are just so beautiful and magical. I will be on the hunt for this book now!

Posie Patchwork said...

How delightful, so glad to see so many gorgeous blogs from people around Qld - we're moving there in December. Love Posie

Market Girl said...

Oh how those pictures take me back, in fact my Mother gave my Daughter a card just like it yesterday.
Thanks for the memories...

cieldequimper said...

I've still got a few books from my childhood with illustrations like these, they are so sweet!
Lovely post.
http://marinagrenadinescieldequimper.blogspot.com/

koralee said...

Darling post ...just found your sweet blog..so magical. Off to read some more!

Floralovely said...

Oh that is just so adorable and perfect, love it so much!! Thank you for sharing it! I want to go and find that book too!

Collectingfeathers said...

Oh dear, that bought a tear to the old eye. What a lovely book. Now that I am growing out, rather than up, I sometimes think I have forgotten the magic of growing up. This has been a wonderful reminder.

Esther said...

Oh, at first I loved the pictures and then I read the words.
I have a nearly twelve year old daughter, who often wails that she doesn't want to grow up but wants to go back to being a baby. It makes my heart break that she's scared of it, especially with all the changes that are bound to happen soon. If only I could get her to look at it in a hopeful way instead. I might have to track down that book.

Deborah said...

I owned this lovely book at age 4, it was my favorite, and I even had a pretty blue dress that reminded me of the one the little girl wore in this book. I am 45 years old, and I can't tell you how heartrending it was to revisit those drawing and words from the book on your blog.

You can't imagine how lovely it was to be told after all these years, in that delightful tone the book was written in, "don't worry if you ever think the magic of growing up may be over for you someday"! That if you keep growing in your heart a little each day, it will stay with you forever. Words I grew up to!