Wednesday, January 13, 2010

making life easier...


While I didn't make any New Year's Resolution this year, I have decided that 2010 is the year I try to make life easier for myself. With 6 kids between 11 years and 11 weeks, a home based business, a house being renovated, and an ironing pile that is almost as high as I am, I am on the lookout for ways to simplify and organise everyday life. A fantastic start has been joining up with Aussie Farmers Direct. On a Tuesday and Friday, a milkman (I'm not being sexist - I have been awake feeding my little Tilly when he has arrived!) leaves milk, bread, eggs, cheese and juice on my doorstep in the middle of the night, and on a Thursday afternoon I get a big box bulging with fresh fruit and veg. With the money deducted straight from our account, and the ability to change or cancel an order online, the whole process couldn't be easier. Knowing that all the products come from Australian farmers or local businesses and are as fresh as can be is a huge bonus. This is going to save many late night trips to the service station when my hungry children have devoured their way through all the bread and milk in the house... Millie, however did you manage when your 5 boys were teenagers?!

5 comments:

A-M said...

Clare, you are a super Mum. I do admire you. What a wonderful life you juggle and what a fantastic idea to have delivery of the essentials. Hope your little darling is thriving and you are getting good sleep! A-M xx

sam b said...

I know this won't work for you all, but for the readers in the states, Alice.com is an absolute lifesaver. It's an online service that lets you order all kinds of home products - toothpaste, paper towels, diapers - and then they ship it to you for FREE. You can even tell them how often you use certain products and it will remind you when it's time to order them. Genius!

Rachael said...

Agree Clare, Aussie farmers are great! I used them all of last year, and felt guilty every delivery day that the poor man had to traipse up my 100 metre long steep driveway in the middle of the night! Wait til Easter and they add hot crossed buns to the morning delivery! YUM! And word of warning, once the local possums discover that you have food out on your veranda, watch out! One morning I discovered they had eaten a 6 pack of hot cross buns and half a slab of cheese!

Rachael

Millie said...

I baked in huge quantities every Sunday night! Choc. Chip Cookies quadrupled & Chocolate Cakes baked in big lasagne & roasting trays. Oh & 40 lites of milk along with 3 big tins of Milo a week. And that was just for MOTH!!
Use any avenue of food supply you can Clare, that's why God invented online.
Millie ^_^
P.S. Wait till they get to the Weetbix eating competition. Son #5 still holds the record for 40 in one sitting eaten out of my Kitchen Aid mixer bowl!!

Shelley said...

We had Aussie Farmers for a while, but was disappointed with the quality of their bread, and gave them a miss after that. Maybe we might have to try again. It is so nice to not have to go out in the humidity!