Sunday, May 30, 2010

blue and white vases...



I have really enjoyed exploring all the different thrift stores in Melbourne since our move here 7 weeks ago. Although my main purpose has been to look for damaged vintage books for our mondocherry artworks and cards, I must admit that I have been getting a little sidetracked. Here are a few of my latest op shop finds that have found themselves a home in my guest room (soon to be occupied by Mum for a week...hooray!) I adore blue and white so I fell for these vases straight away and since the large one cost $8 and the smaller one $4, they didn't break the bank. I purchased the jar with the lid from The Works and I think it looks lovely grouped with the others with a bit of pink thrown in.


See the curtains in the photo? They have caused me some trouble! I was after a plain linen curtain for this room, and found a reasonable pair at Ikea. However, with the high ceilings I have in this house they were too short, so I thought I would add a deep border in a blue linen with a very similar texture. I measured the blue strip carefully and sewed it along the bottom of each of the two Ikea panels, but when I hung them up, one curtain brushed the floor and the other had quite a gap. I had assumed, quite reasonably I think, that the curtains would be the same length....I was wrong! Ikea aren't in my good books at the moment.

11 comments:

Thea said...

I can't believe your thrifty vase finds - they look so expensive. Not good news about your curtains. Mass-production sucks!

Rachael said...

Looks gorgeous! i can't believe your Ikea curtains were still too short - Ikea curtains are so long! Looks gorgeous and I'm sure no-one will even notice...

Rachael

Brooke said...

LOVE the blue & white vases, I can't get enough either! Have fun with your ma:)

Sarah B said...

That just looks so gorgeous! The panel at the bottom of the curtins was a great idea by the way. Naugty Ikea though!

ani's house said...

I have only just discovered your blog - oh my haven't i been missing out!! I love it! I love the tea party invite a little while ago.

Kimberlee said...

Awesome purchases, well done! And so beautifully displayed xx

Sprout Gallery said...

I am glad the curtains were too short because the finished look looks fantastic.

Kellie Collis said...

What finds - delightful outcome ! xxx

Bela said...

Ok you had problems with the curtains...but you might be sure they look great!! I love them. I am going to use your idea to fix mine which is too short. We moved from an apartment to a house and I am adapting stuff. Thank you!! Bela.

Bethan said...

Gorgeous blog, I love the images that you post. I smiled when I read your Ikea curtains story - this has happened to me...twice, and I thought that it was my dodgy sewing skills!

Che Birba said...

lovely corner!!

Laura from Italy