Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Joy's house part 1...

I have to admit that I was dubious about renting again after owning our own house. Before we made the move down here to Melbourne, my husband and I flew down for the day for a whirlwind inspection of 8 or 9 rental properties. Many of them had peeling paint, stained carpet and very ordinary kitchens, so when we walked into this place it was such a welcome relief. Freshly painted white walls and floorboards throughout - I knew this was the one!

While there are several things I would change if I owned this house, I feel very at home here. I am especially loving all the character features (our Brisbane house was brand new), in particular the stained glass in the doors and windows and the fireplaces and mantles - an extra shelf for my ever-changing displays.

Here are some cute little egg cups that I found at an op shop which have found a home on the mantlepiece for now. Isn't the glass insert an interesting addition?


I love opening the front door and being greeted by this long hallway. The ceilings are very high, but the detailed arch, chandeliers and panelled doors stop it feeling like a tunnel.


Thanks for visiting!


15 comments:

Sarah B said...

What a lovely home! I love having a mantel piece as it is a nice spot to decorate. Your hallway is so light and airy! Ours is a little dark but we hope to reno it soon - rip up carpet, polish boards and install nice lighting. I'll be very happy if it looks a little like yours!

TTOC said...

what a fab house, I love how much light it in it

A-M said...

Oh Joy, it is gorgeous. Those southern character homes make me go weak at the knees. Wait until you see my rental..... mission brown, modern... and it is going to take me a week to clean it before I can stand to move in. A-M xx

Brooke said...

Your house looks great - before moving to Hong Kong we lived in Brisbane, and grew up on the Sunshine Coast. Melbourne has always been one of those enchanting cities I have wanted to live in. I am sure you will LOVE it!

Marshmallow Beanie said...

OH the detail is beautiful! What's not to love about wooden floors, long hallways, high ceiling, and panelled doors and MELBOURNE! Yaya. Visit the gallery for me please ;-)

Thank you for sharing.

Sally in Sydney (who also rents)
Marshmallow Beanie

Bringing Pretty Back said...

OH! I just love this home!

Kathy said...

Stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love it!

I have an Aunt and Uncle in Melbourne...they LOVE it there!
Enjoy,\...
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Beach Vintage said...

Those egg cups are sensational, perfect spot for them too.

Rachael said...

It's gorgeous Joy, does the fireplace actually work?

Rachael

Porchlight Interiors said...

Looks like a gorgous house and your furniture suits it so well! Tracey xx

le@thirdontheright said...

looks lovely ... it is hard to sometimes feel at home in a rental - but you have done an amazing job :) best days to come le

Flick, said...

You are so lucky to have found such a nice rental, full of character and style.. most of which is obviously yours!!
:) Flick

A Room For Everyone said...

It looks gorgeous to me! Good rentals are so hard to come by..Rachaelxx

vicki archer said...

It is so lovely Joy....xv

Simony said...

Dear girls, thank you so much for your visit on my blog and for the message you left me.
I came here to check your blog and really fell in love with it! What a nice idea to share a blog with sister and mom. I will be here visiting and as of today I will be a follower, too!