Monday, May 17, 2010

our tea party...


We had such a lovely time celebrating my eldest daughter's birthday yesterday with a special tea party for 8 delightful girls. The birthday girl loves decorating and pretty things almost as much as her mother (me), so we had a great time dreaming up the details together.

We decorated with colourful parasols that I purchased from Sunrise Imports (the most amazing warehouse to have a rummage in if you are in Brisbane!), pretty flowers and vintage linens. After visiting what felt like every charity shop in Brisbane, I tracked down enough vintage tea cups and plates for each of the girls, all with floral patterns in shades of pink and mauve. After they had used them for the afternoon tea, they become the 'take-home bags' with a few extra goodies thrown in.


The food was lovely and simple - mini quiches, tiny sandwiches, cup cakes, flower-shaped brownies, meringue kisses and peppermint creams. The birthday girl requested an old-fashioned sponge cake with jam, cream and strawberries which was very appropriate for the vintage tea party theme, and ever so much easier for me than spending the morning fiddling around with icing and a complicated design!


The main game involved a race between two teams to set up a tea table complete with vase of flowers and guests. They had to follow clues and do tea-related challenges such as building sugar cube towers, filling a tea cup up with water using teaspoons, and singing "I'm a little teapot", complete with actions, to Sue in Dubai via Skype. I had found some great wooden fans with cutout details and the girls used pretty coloured pens to decorate these for a craft which kept them occupied for a good half and hour.

9 year old girl's parties are just so easy and civilised - next weekend we are having a party for my 12 year old son... might not be so quiet! And I must say a huge thank you to my wonderful Mother-in-law and two super sister-in-laws who came and held babies, washed dishes and kept everything flowing smoothly.

12 comments:

Abby said...

That is just beautiful! How gorgeous! I love those parasols! I don't think I have enough exclamation marks to show my appreciation!!!!!

Julie-Ann said...

Your decorations are stunning. I bet the girls had a lovely time:)

Sharnel said...

Perfection in a teacup!!! Gorgeous party!

TTOC said...

That is just so gorgeous, I am really loving this trend for young girls to have high tea parties. Your decorations and take home party favour were fab!

emerson-j said...

how fab, im planning on having a garden tea party for my daughter when she turns 1 at the end of the year...i suppose its more for the adults.lol your party looks lovely just gorgeous :)

Brabourne Farm said...

Tea party perfection - just gorgeous! Leigh

Mon Alisa Design said...

How gorgeous! What a wonderful idea xxx

Kellie Collis said...

What a stunning tea party !! xxx

Cornflake said...

Oh how gorgeous! Just beautiful!

Lucky girls! x

Beach Vintage said...

Clare this is so pretty, reminds me of Ashwells book "The Gift of Giving". Such lovely ideas.

Millie said...

Hi God, this is Millie. If you have any compassion at all, please, please let the 5 sons give me girl grandbabies one day, so I can go to gorgeous parties like this one.
Clare - what a fabulous day you all had. You have set the bar very high now in the party stakes.
Millie ^_^

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Pretty, Pretty, Pretty!!!