Tuesday, July 13, 2010

cows, bats and sparkly hats...

Today is the last day of the school holidays and I am not looking forward to getting back into the routine of lunch boxes, homework and pick-ups and drop-offs. The two weeks the kids had off whizzed by very fast, and while we did a few activities that cost a bit of money like seeing the new Toy Story movie (I cried!) and taking a ride of the Wheel of Brisbane, most of our fun came very cheaply indeed.

Down at Joy's place in Melbourne, a new pack of felt tipped pens meant her budding artists produced lots and lots of drawings, including these gorgeous cows by Harvey, aged 4.

At my house, sparkly party hats from the supermarket gave my girls hours of fun choreographing dances to everything from Taylor Swift to Abba.

But probably the bargain of the holidays was the purchase of these two very worn table tennis bats that my boys bought for themselves at the at one of the op-shops I dragged them in to. With a couple of the trestle tables we use for markets, and a roll of masking tape, the deck became the venue for long games of table tennis. The boys only came back in the house for food and drink... not a bad 50c worth!



2 comments:

stormygirl said...

I cried in Toy Story too, and my almost 9 yo Daughter blubbered away through most of it! There is something so captivating about children's drawings. I have boxes and boxes of them that I can't bear to part with...

Emma Burgess said...

Looks like lots of fun. We haven't seen toy story yet- sounds like we had better make it a priority! Enjoy the school run. Emma.