Thursday, July 8, 2010

my grey bedroom...


When we first moved into this house just over a year ago, the whole top floor was painted a fairly bright shade of blue. It wasn't an ugly colour, but there was just too much of it, the paintwork was in terrible condition, and it made the rooms (living, dining, main bedroom) seem smaller than they were.

Before.. with paint samples, laundry and all!


Ever so slowly, we have been repainting and the very last bit of blue has finally been banished from our main bedroom. I really wanted the room to feel very tranquil, but with it receiving a lot of morning and early afternoon light, white would have been just too bright. So we chose a soft grey which I am really happy with as it allows me to accessorise with almost any colour and also highlights our beautiful Laura Ashley bed and white furniture.

At the moment the only real colour in the room comes from my necklaces which are hung from tiny nails on the wall. I find that when they are out I actually remember to wear them! Similarly, I have my favourite perfumes on the dresser, otherwise they get forgotten in the morning rush.


I have decorated this wall with some op-shop doilies which I stiffened by soaking them in a mixture of pva glue and water and then drying flat. I plan to add especially pretty ones as I find them and they (as well as my husband) are a lovely thing to wake up to!


I've had these lamp bases from Freedom for a while now, but planned to cover some shades with a beautiful fabric. I changed my mind when I found these grey shades in K-Mart for a few dollars each as they compliment the darker grey of the zinc letters (from Ici Et La) perfectly.


11 comments:

Rachael said...

gorgeous Clare - love the bed!

Rachael

Ticking and Toile said...

I really like it! I painted our bedroom a pale grey too & I am so thrilled w/ it. It makes everything white just pop. I really like your paneled walls. That's what I really want to do in our WHOLE house :)

New to your blog so I'm off to browse a bit!

xo,
Shellagh

Deb Di maggio said...

impressive great results, love the little details dotter around like the hung doileys. So pretty good job.

A-M said...

Oh it's a beautiful grey Clare and I agree the dark shades just pop! In all a beautiful, serene room! A-M xx

Lee said...

Your bedroom looks absolutely gorgeous - a very calm, relaxing space. I especially love the jewellery display.

Burlap Luxe said...

Love it,
Any thing painted in a tone of gray with the creams, ans whites are up my alley.

There is just something peaceful about gray.
Come see my peaceful signs and decor in grays.

Keep inspiring us!
xx
Dore

reanaclaire said...

so modest looking.. so serene and comfortable bedroom you have..

regards,
reanaclaire.comsomm

Emma Burgess said...

Love the grey, I love greys! What a great idea for your necklaces- too clever. Emma. XX

Thea said...

Ooh, you have the bed I want for our spare room. The whole room looks lovely! x

Jan said...

Your bedroom looks beautiful, so restful. I think you were right going for the palest grey rather than all white,it has a lovely soft effect, and your white pieces have a more defining role.

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Love this room! I am loving all white decor. This is simply beautiful!