Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sienna's room and a house inspection...



Three months ago we farewelled Brisbane and moved to Melbourne for my husband's work. We left the kids for a day with their grandparents and flew down for a whirlwind 7 hours of looking at rental properties. I must admit that I wasn't overly excited about the prospect of renting again, but we ended up stumbling on a cute little house with freshly painted white walls, and most days, surrounded by all our 'stuff', I forget that we don't own this house. That is, until I received a call the other day saying that would be having our first house inspection this week. Yikes!


I have spent most of the morning cleaning and putting away a few things in Sienna's room, so I thought I would take some photos while it is spotlessly tidy. The only carpet in the house is found in the childrens' bedrooms. It is a dark greyish brown and is not something I would have chosen myself, so I have tried to ignore it. Clare and I were discussing the other day what a mistake it can be to be guided by the existing colours of a rental property (a mistake we have both made in the past!) As this will not be long term accommodation for our family, I do not want to be left with lots of soft furnishings, bedding and accessories in a colour scheme that I don't adore.

For Sienna's room I have been inspired by the beautiful Liberty bedspread I bought a while ago. I really love the soft muted colours with the dashes of red to liven things up.


You might remember this little antique wardrobe that used to live in my son's old room in our Brisbane house. It is now the perfect place to hang Sienna's little dresses and display all the bits and pieces she collects.

This dressing table is a recent purchase from the fabulous Camberwell markets and is just what every little girl needs.


Now... back to wiping fingerprints off the wall!





16 comments:

pinkstilettos said...

So Many cute little things!
Daisy~

Porchlight Interiors said...

Very cute...I just bought that apple basket for my niece's birthday present, so adorable! Tracey xx

Mon Alisa Design said...

It looks so lovely! :)

Thea said...

Oh yes, I don't miss those house inspections! But it's nice that you can stil make it feel like home. x

Sonia M said...

What gorgeous girlie things in a beautiful room. My daughter would love it!

Flotsam Friends said...

These are simply adorable. Particularly love that little doll to the right on shot 3. How adorable is she (love the way she's flat)! Pxxx

Steph Bond @ Bondville said...

Simply gorgeous! Sienna is so lucky with her Tea Pony dress and Retro Bird Designs dolls and her furniture is to die for. I feel for with the big interstate move; we're only just feeling settled in Sydney after a month. It takes a long time. And the heritage colours in the house we are renting are taking some time to come to terms with! I might have to ask your advice :)

Millie said...

Oh Joy - your Property Manager will be floating on cloud nine after seeing your immaculate home! In fact, they will be in such a state of euphoria, they may even want to take you to lunch!
Millie ^_^

Karyn said...

So Pretty, where did you get the apple basket ?

Michelle Muniz said...

Olá! Tenho um selinho pra vc em meu blog! Passa lá pra copiar pro seu blog! Está no link http://michellemunizblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/ai-vai-mais-um.html. Beijinhos!

Brabourne Farm said...

Sienna's room is absolutely gorgeous - you would never guess looking at these photos that your house is a rental. Well done you for making it so lovely! Leigh

Beach Vintage said...

I love that cute doll bed. So so sweet.

Kellie Collis said...

The perfect little girl's space ! So pretty xxx

Anonymous said...

Love the retro bird dolls I have a few too from the Portside markets in my daughter's room and a few Mondo Cherry buterfly artworks too. I want to ask too about the apple basket and that fantastic t-shirt hanging from Sienna's wardrobe - where can I find ??
Thanks
Carolyn
Brisbane

mondo cherry said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments on Sienna's room. Karyn and Carolyn, I bought the apple basket at a shop on Auburn Rd in Melbourne (the name escapes me at the moment) but I think I have also seen them at Mama's Home in Brisbane. They come in a couple of different sizes and in a red too. hope you manage to track one down.
Joy x

Gelati Art said...

What a special little room. I always enjoy seeing children's bedrooms and Sienna's is so perfectly girlie.