Thursday, August 26, 2010

not your normal socks...

Come round to my house on any weekday afternoon and you will find a fair amount of chaos. Once I pick the 4 school age kids up in the afternoon the craziness begins, with lifts to and from ballet lessons and footy practice, homework, music practice, chores, and dinner. Last minute surprises never help the afternoon to run smoothly and I have tried, (and failed!), to get the kids to plan ahead for special dress ups and the making of props etc instead of doing it the night before.

Last week, at 5pm one afternoon, my children reminded me that the next day was a "silly sock day" at school, and then outlined their ambitious plans for their socks - one wanted to design an aquarium! Once I had toned their ideas down a bit (mean, I know, but I was desperate to get them to bed at a decent time), I gave them free reign in my craft supplies and this is what they came up with...

Crepe paper ruffles stuck on double sided sticky tape...

Felt flowers with button middles...


Torn strips of black fabric plaited into spider's legs with duct tape eyes...


They were very proud of their socks and I was impressed with their creativity. Next year though, we will be making these before the last minute or I will be grey before my time!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I love the last ones! I wonder whether the last minute thing carries on to later life. My hubby and I are the master of last minute assignments, etc. It's a VERY bad habit.

Millie said...

For a last minute dash, the Cherry Pips came up with some awesome creations! As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Millie ^_^

vicki archer said...

So fantastic...they are very cute, all of them. xv

Emma Burgess said...

They are fabulous! So clever. Hope you are well. Emma. xx