Monday, August 2, 2010

the rainbow party...


Yesterday, we held a rainbow party for my now 6 year old Chloe, and she and her friends had a lovely time. Unfortunately I woke up on Saturday with the flu, and was still feeling horrible on Sunday, so didn't get lots of the little things I had planned done. The perfectionist in me had to remember that no one knew! My poor old head couldn't cope with any decisions though, and I put the smarties on the cake upside down (ie violet to red, not red to violet) but the lovely thing about decorating a cake for six year olds is that they really don't care as long as they get to eat those same smarties!


Unfortunately, I can't take the credit for the gorgeous rainbow table skirt, which was on loan from the amazingly generous Siobhan from Hip Hooray, who had made it for her own daughter's party. She left a comment on the post I did on the party invitations last week, asking if I wanted to borrow it.... did I ever! As well as having a very inspiring blog, Siobhan and her sister Vanessa also have a fantastic online shop called Details, details which stocks all things fabulous for parties and other celebrations.


My bigger kids made this beautiful rainbow from crepe paper circles which they scrunched into rough flower shapes and then painstakingly poked through the holes of a big pegboard we use for market displays. I was really impressed with how they stuck at it, even though it took them hours, and how effective it looked.


More crepe paper... long strips this time twisted into flowers and pinned into styrofoam for a centrepiece.


The rainbow jellies turned out well considering I rushed them a little. Having only a small-ish fridge and 8 people in the house meant that I couldn't spare them any room until Thursday, so I risked mixing layers by adding two or three colours a day. They were demolished!


My daughter asked that the take home bags be very rainbow-y, so we found some plain white metal buckets and stuck different lengths of coloured ribbons to a strip of double sided tape. Amazingly, the ribbons fitted exactly around without having to miss any colours at the join. My big kids were good at this job too - see how useful it can be to have six children?!!

As for the games, we had a treasure hunt to find the gold that the naughty pixies had stolen from under the rainbow. Luckily the good fairies had left the girls clues on how to find it again, which also involved doing lots of colour challenges, all of which they passed with flying colours. We finished the party off by making rainbow coloured necklaces which was a lovely quiet activity. But the biggest hit of the party by far was the puppet show that my husband and two sons put on. Following the tradition begun by my dad (and Joy's) who always gave puppet shows at our parties, my hubby has gamely stepped up to the challenge for our own children and he is a natural. It was so lovely to see the girls so excited, screaming instructions at the puppets and giggling away at the rather lame jokes. Priceless!


19 comments:

Lee said...

Your rainbow party sounded very colourful and oh so much fun - your daughter must have been delighted.

MrsKT said...

I love everything about this fabulous rainbow party. The rainbow backdrop is a great idea :)

Abby said...

I love all the colour, it's fabulous. The table skirt is gorgeous and the kids did a really nice job of the backdrop. What a great idea for a party theme :)

birdie blue said...

absolutely darling! happy birthday to your little six year old!

e x said...

what a very lucky daughter to have a mum like you.....awesome xoxoxo

A-M said...

Oh what a magnificent party Clare. Your daughter will remember it for ever. How wonderful that the whole family helped prepare and then featured as the entertainment! Goodness, you party girls put me to shame. Must put more effort into my soon to be 8 son's party. A sausage sizzle in the park ain't gonna cut it! A-M xx

Sharnel said...

OH so beautiful! Siobhan and Vanessa are such lovely girls.
I love your backdrop, very clever!

Anonymous said...

You are SO clever and I love the idea of the puppet show. You must be so proud to have such lovely helpful bigger children too.

Carolyn

Boutique Markets said...

Just gorgeous Clare, your market pegboard worked a treat and you didn't have to lug it anywhere! Hope you made yourself a rainbow cocktail at the end of the day and put your feet up!

Rachael

Siobhan. Vanessa said...

It all worked beautifully Clare - how clever is that backdrop? What a wonderful tradition your puppet show is - such special memories for your children. Hope you're feeling better soon xo

Porch Days said...

Looks like the party was truly amazing. You really went all out. Sorry you ended up sick. I'll bet they all had fun!

vicki archer said...

What fun.....I love this theme...the children must have loved it...xv

Linda V said...

How lovely, I am having a Wizard of Oz party next weekend for my daughter and I enjoyed looking at your rainbow treats and crafts. I've seen that lovely tablecloth in real life at Mathilda's markets and it's delightful.

Jordan - Polkadot Prints said...

Hey Clare...I'm loving this! Love the backdrop, your fruit drink etc arranged like a rainbow...very cute! Great memories for your kids too. Love that everyone gets in and plays a part...I am still one of those 'older children' in a big family helping out at events! :)

Millie said...

Just gorgeous Clare! You are a WonderWoman, no doubt about it & a big high five to the wonderful father of your children for continuing the Puppet Show tradition.
A very impressed Millie ^_^

denise said...

wow it looks SO great!
big compliment for that.
love,
denise

Emma Burgess said...

Clare,

The party looks fantastic! I love it all. There is no way I could have achieved that rainbow jelly- very impressive. Emma. xx

Giggleberry (Amy) said...

Google sent me your way after a search for Rainbow Party ideas... November has me planning a rainbow party with a little twist.
I love the rainbow fruit platter you did too!

Anonymous said...

what supplies did you use for the drinks? i am doing a rainbow party at the end of the month and have looked online everywhere...