Monday, October 11, 2010

my dining room display...


My dining room is a bit of a thoroughfare. With stairs on one side, the kitchen on another and large french doors opening out onto our deck on a third, the room only has one wall. To give the room a display area, we put up a couple of the IKEA floating shelves. They are wide enough to hold photos and a vase of flowers, or a few side dishes and a bottle of wine, but narrow enough not to take up valuable floor space.

At the moment the items on the shelves have a fairly muted colour scheme (black, white and browns), in contrast with my living room which is currently a riot of colour. Next month it might be different!

We use old scrabble letter to spell out message on the shelves - happy birthdays, welcomes, special congratulations etc.

I love the shape of these scissors. Far too beautiful to keep hidden away in a drawer.

I am always on the lookout for old spools and this is my collection so far. The cicada skin is waiting to go into school for show and tell!



5 comments:

vicki archer said...

Such beautiful vignettes Clare....

Jane said...

it's all so lovely, and I do love a blackboard, I have a few in my house aswell.
Jane
PS I love your blog!

chateaudelille said...

The scrabble is so clever! I shall have to try that. Also love the cubes. Would be such fun to play with!Fiona

Jenn said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

Carmel said...

Love the scrabble letters and had to laugh at the cicada skin - I have one on my sideboard, which seems to be going nowhere near school - it's been there for months.
Have a lovely weekend.
Carmel