Monday, December 13, 2010

a tree with velvet bows...


In the past our Christmas tree has been quite traditional with red, white and silver decorations. I then continued the theme by changing the cushion covers on our chairs and couches to red and white ones. This year I decided to do the opposite, and have decorated the tree around our existing decor - colourful cushions and framed butterfly artworks.


I purchased several metres of velvet ribbon in the various colours from my cushions and art to make bows for the tree, and bought a few extra baubles to add to some I had stashed away.

Other decorations on the tree include some fabric candy canes I made a few years ago and hearts made from one of my favourite Japanese fabrics - all very child friendly!


The garland across the mirror is one I made from cupcake cases last year.


My absolutely favourite thing about decorating our new (rental) home is the mantle pieces. Finally I have a proper place to hang the stockings. Our linen ones are from The Swedish shop in Brisbane, which sadly closed down a couple of years ago.

Clare gave me these pretty tea light houses for my birthday earlier in the year - they look so pretty all lit up on the hall table.

11 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

Just delightful!

Marshmallow Beanie said...

What beautiful work you have done! Making Christmas gorgeous
x

ani's house said...

love your stockings. Where did you get your stocking hooks from?

Gifts of Serendipity said...

This is a truly special space, beautifully styled but with plenty of warmth.

Felicity x

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh yes, a mantal, so lucky!! I think when we build a house we'll have to put one in JUST for the stocking styling!! Love Posie

Lee said...

Beautiful Christmas gorgeousness!

Ness Lockyer said...

beautiful colours you have used and your mantle is lovely too.
Ness xx

Beth said...

It all looks so lovely and elegant.
I have to tell you that I bought some vintage map birds at the twilight market on Friday and they look just perfect in some twigs on my stairway. I've posted a photo. X

TIFFANY said...

your christmas decorations are so pretty! Gorgeous x

le@thirdontheright said...

I love it - fresh natural and very you :) I have seen similar stocking at ness the designer in tassie - from marley and lockyer - you might know her work .. have a lovely xmas le

le@thirdontheright said...

of course you know ness - she is three comments above me - opps :) le