Monday, January 17, 2011

the last of the Christmas decorations...


I love it when the shops sell off the last of their Christmas decorations. I found these red butterflies marked down to just a few cents each as they had lost their hanging cords. They were just perfect for the mobile I had in mind to brighten up the room belonging to my two smallest girls. It has not been looking very attractive as we have been battling the dreaded mould (which seems to be a widespread problem in Brisbane this summer) and definitely needs some brightening up.

After tying the butterflies to a metal hoop with twine, I decorated the top with some strips of Japanese masking tape which I had bought to tuck in someone's Christmas present and then had forgotten all about. These beautiful patterned tapes have been widely available for a while now (I bought mine at Borders), and I have often read blogs and articles singing its praises, but had never actually used it. Well, I am now singing too! It has the perfect amount of stickiness and transparency, and cuts very easily - I am keen to experiment some more.





6 comments:

le@thirdontheright said...

so cute - would have looked nice with ribbon too - I thought it was at first :) le xox

Naturally Carol said...

So eyecatching with the pretty butterfly shapes moving in the breeze. Just the thing for a little girl's room.

the happy sparrow said...

I love the mobile Clare - just beautiful! :)) Martine

Millie said...

This is definitely some of your best work Clare! I only managed to buy functional stuff at the NY sales - sheets, towels, sox & jocks for MOTH etc. I think I need to get a more creative life! And yes I battled the mould in the wardrobes during our 18mths. in BrisVegas, don't let it beat you girl.
Millie x

Laura said...

Hi Clare and hi girls! I read of you for the very first time and I'm your newest follower! This blog is amazing! I also would say that I pray each day for you and your people. I'm sure you stay strong and re-build best than ever.
A big hug from an italian blogger!
Laura@RicevereconStile

Verandah House said...

Hi Claire,
Call over to my blog, let me know if your interested in being involved x