Monday, January 24, 2011

patchwork school books...


My 4 biggest kids went back to school this morning after their long summer holiday (although actually it wasn't nearly long enough). We spent the weekend covering their books and labelling what felt like hundreds of pencils. I have an aversion to contact (sticky backed book covering) - my perfectionist side struggles with the air bubbles and creases which you always seem to get - and my kids have inherited my dislike for it. Every year they like to have something different to cover their books in and so we have done old maps, stencilled brown paper and sheet music. This year the boys have gone for foreign newspapers - the Arabic papers look particularly cool. My 9 year old daughter was very keen to try fabric, and when we were chatting to Joy about it on the phone, Joy jokingly suggested patchwork. Talk about making life harder for me!!! After raiding my stash of fabric, my Hannah sewed lots of strips together and we cut them into big rectangles and wrapped the books up like you normally would with paper. We then tucked them into the plastic covers you can buy to protect them from the rough and tumble of a school bag. They do look very pretty and I love the way that the lines aren't quite stright so they have a really quirky feel. But the best bit is seeing how proud she is of herself for sewing all day and making them with very little help. Well worth the mess!

17 comments:

Jane said...

What a fabulous idea, Clare - they look brilliant! Hmm, I might have to use that idea one day...J x

Jane said...

oh how clever you are!!! They look adorable!

A-M said...

Oh they are positively gorgeous Clare. What masterpieces. Their little friends will be so envious. A-M xx

Anonymous said...

Can you link to the plastic covers? Should have had some as my daughter has done the same thing as Hannah. I have never seen plastic covers, and my Aurora is not happy the way her book covers are getting dirty in her back pack..
Love from Amandine in Norway

Brooke said...

What a great idea!! Fantastic way to use up your old fabric scraps too - the ones that you just can't bear to part with:)

Thea said...

They're definitely the prettiest exercise books I've ever seen! I want them. x

Beth said...

They are amazingly gorgeous! Having spent last night covering with clear contact I feel completely dull and boring now..!
x

Brooke said...

They look gorgeous!! And at least you didn't have to do the patchwork sewing. Love the idea of foreign newspaper for the boys too. So creative!

Naturally Carol said...

So pretty...they should last longer than the exercise book...or at least help the book to last longer being so thick. Beautifully done!

Lounging with a Latte said...

The covered books are fantastic and so pretty. What a great idea!

mondo cherry said...

Hi Amandine,
I haven't been able to find anywhere online that sells the plastic covers for exercise books and ships to Norway. If Aurora's books are the same size as the ones we have, I'm very happy to send you some plastic covers from here - just let me know via email. what size and how many you would need.
Clare x

Emma Burgess said...

They are so lovely. What a great start to the year, so lovely that she made them herself. Congratulations to your darling! Emma. xx

le@thirdontheright said...

just a delight - she is just like her mum - a creative whizz !!le xox

Sandrine said...

This is genius!From mum and daughter...looks like it runs strong in the family :)I think I would love to visit your stash of fabrics they look really nice Clare X

Anonymous said...

oh great, my 7 year old daughter would love it and, I#m sure, all her friends, too.
ALex

Vicki said...

I always covered my children's books in maps etc but these material covers are divine! What a creative little bunny you are Claire! Love your blog, have just discovered it.
Vickixx

Carol said...

The books are adorable! Do you wrap the books in fabric or is the fabric glued to the books? How does the fabric stay secure?