Monday, February 14, 2011

a very LOVE-ly dinner...


Our children love a celebration, so although we don't usually make a big deal out of Valentine's Day, both Joy and I decided to have a special family dinner this year and our kids are counting down the minutes!

To make our dinner a bit special, I cut out felt hearts for place-mats and used the blanket stitch on my sewing machine to stitch around the edges. I would have loved to embroider all our names, but since this was all very last minute and made in between school and ballet trips, I quickly personalised them using alphabet stamps on some small trips of cotton tape. Each one has a little pocket and we have all been busy writing little notes to everyone else in the family to be opened at dinner. Since I have been asked to spell "muscles" and "ordinary" and "pumpkin" I can't wait to see what they say!



Joy decorated her table with pretty place-mats made from wrapping paper purchased at Kikki K. Joy simply cut a scalloped border around the printed white heart and the plan is to let her two little ones draw pictures on them after dinner. With home made heart chocolates for desert, and pink cordial for a special treat, Joy's children think Valentine's Day is very cool indeed!



Happy Valentine's Day to you all xoxox


8 comments:

Felicity said...

I'm bookmarking both of these ideas for next year.

I love, love, love the notion of the pockets and everyone writing loving notes to each other.

Felicity x

vicki archer said...

These decorations are all so sweet....love your celebrations.....xv

Naturally Carol said...

Loving your special table decorations and ideas for the kids participation!

A-M said...

You two never cease to amaze me. You make me want to be a better mother, a better homemaker and gosh I might even just learn to sew this year! A-M xx

Jane said...

those place mats and your whole table setting looks adorable!! Thanks for sharing! Jane x

Beach Vintage.com said...

I just love the felt placemats and the teeny messages.

Sophia said...

the placemats and cards are awesome, definitely ideas for next year. :)

rockmelon said...

i love the idea of the notes and what you wrote, i so will do that sometime!