Friday, March 25, 2011

everything looks better in glass...

When we look around our homes we realise that we use a lot of glass jars, vases and cloches to contain and display everything from mundane necessities to the purely decorative. Glass just seems to make whatever it holds look prettier and more appealing. Here are some examples from all three of our homes...

Yummy looking cereals at Joy's house...


Cotton buds in a cut-glass jam pot at Clare's...


Crafty supplies in Joy's playroom...


Vintage cotton reels and old books in Clare's dining room...


Bits of old lace, doilies, buttons and white tags create another vignette at Clare's...


More Moccona jars (the coffee we used to drink before we got our coffee machines!) keep hair ribbons and clips tidy for Joy's little girl...


Sue's gorgeous display of shells collected from the beach near her unit in Dubai and from the shores of Oman - there was a 'white-out' when she took the picture so her spectacular view is a little hard to see...


This sea glass, also collected by Sue, almost glows in the light from the window...



What do you keep in or under glass?

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend.


8 comments:

beachcomber sydney australia said...

beautiful storage ideas!

Melissa said...

what lovely displays. I keep lots of buttons sorted into colours, shells and also my ribbons. My favourite glass jars at the moments are fowlers preserving jars with their glass lids.

Vicki said...

I keep my bracelets and beaded bangles in a glass candy jar - it looks so pretty.

V :)

Pattyz said...

I keep buttons, buttons and...buttons :-)

Naturally Carol said...

I am an avid glass lover...so loved looking at all of the glass bottles however my favourite pics there would have to be the sea glass, the lovely big vases full of shells and the cut glass with the cotton buds! At Christmas I enjoy putting a few baubles and bits of tinsel in a glass cake stand..the glass does make them look a bit more special.

Amandine said...

I too love glass jars! I keep my buttons, my shell-,stone-,and seaglass-collections in old storage jars with a green tinted glass. My top tip must be the large jars I keep in my kitchen window, storing my collection of antique silver cutlery, used daily to make everyday a special day. When the silver is kept in jars like that it doesn't tarnish, and I don't have to spend too much time claening..

Fancy Pants said...

Love it! I have cotton balls and q tips in glass jars in my bathroom. It makes usual items look so classy!

Anonymous said...

Your mum's shell display is just gorgeous! Wow!