Tuesday, March 22, 2011

my studio space...


I've been having a good tidy up in my mondocherry workroom so I thought it was a good time to take some photos. I'm lucky enough to have a great space to spread out in the 'sleepout' (converted verandah) of my Queenslander home. It has a whole wall of windows, so it is always lovely and light, and as it is just off the dining room and main bedroom, I am still part of the action and can supervise homework, keep an eye on toddlers playing and hopefully not burn whatever is in the oven. I do have to share the room with our office area, which is very well used by my hubby and by our bigger kids, so the desks (old doors on trestles) are usually never this tidy!

Here is my current mood board - always a work in progress...


The room's lovely green aspect makes for an inspiring room...


Colour coding my buttons makes me happy...


More colour coding - I love the spines of these old Ladybird books...


Heart decorations on some branches in front of an old box filled with Chinese coin purses in pretty colours...


Here is the useful part of my desk. Because we hand-cut all our designs with scissors, I have quite a few different sizes for different jobs. Every now and then I buy myself some nice new pens and pencils and within a week they have all disappeared! Gotta love those kids...


Boxes of blooms, hearts and butterflies arranged by colour. It can take a long time to find the prefect combination of illustrations for an artwork and we try to have designs pre-cut to give us a starting point...


A new black, grey and white petal artwork waiting to be assembled...


I keep the main stash of our damaged vintage books at my place (it is too hard for Mum to take many back to Dubai and Joy doesn't have much space at her place). Some have lost their spines or are missing pages, others have stains and yellowing and many have ripped pages and are drawn all through. We love being able to rescue as many of their beautiful illustrations as we can...


This is an opening through to the stairs and living areas. These white trees fill in the space enough to detract from the mess..


Packaged cards ready to take to market - beaded fabric on the left and stitched vintage on the right. Each one is different...


Hope you enjoyed the tour! Since I have a few orders to complete, it won't be this tidy for long...


10 comments:

Kimberlee said...

LOVE the colour coding Clare, the book shelf looks fabulous x

vicki archer said...

love your space...xv

stormygirl said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You have such a beautiful way with colour.

amandine in Norway said...

Ah! The trees! They were absolutely beautiful! Such a nice work space. Hmm I might have to get me some MDF and make me some trees..I'm turning green like a leaf in envy.. The one with the birds will be copied in a large scale, if you don't mind?

Mechi said...

Beautiful!!!

Andrea said...

THAS VERY BEUTIFULL

the happy sparrow said...

Such an inspiration Clare! I love your worksspace...so beautiful... Love Martine
ps..hope to catch up with you sometime!! :)

Brooke said...

Wow, what a lovely tour. I was surprised all your books are organised by colour, but really I've been reading long enough to know better = )

rockmelon said...

A lovely, inspiring workspace, thanks for sharing your delightful home and blog with us.

j said...

love your blog, the designs and tips...