Wednesday, April 6, 2011

liberty print flowers for the hair...


I recently picked up some gorgeous liberty fabric remnants from our local fabric store and today their pretty designs inspired one of my quick-fix creative projects. All three of these floral hair clips were made in less than half an hour and were very simple to create. As usual, I made up my own pattern - a basic petal-shaped cardboard template , which I traced around 5 times for each flower with the fabric doubled over, right sides together. I machine stitched around the outside of each petal leaving the bottom part open and turned them the right way round. A rough running stitch gathered the petals and I finished off with a button to hide all the stitches. Once complete, I stitched the flowers securely onto hair clips, but they would also look cute on safety pins or broaches to embellish a plain cardigan or jacket.


One of these days I will have to dig out my patterns and find the time to actually sew a pretty dress for my daughter (girl's clothes are always more fun to make) or maybe even something for me!

7 comments:

My Little World said...

These are very pretty, thank you for sharing, but what clip was used and how was it attached.
mylittleworldandmynotebook.blogspot.com

lily-g said...

Now having serious envy x 2!! first daughter envy because have no pink one only my two blues and craft envy because you make it looks sooo easy!! Inspires me to get the sewing machine out of the cupboard that has really not been used like ever!!!

Dylana Suarez said...

So cute!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Mimi said...

They are so pretty! Girls you are very clever. Mimi xx

pinkstilettos said...

Oh How cute!!
Daisy~

Steph Bond @ Bondville said...

Totally gorgeous Joy! You really made that best of that lovely fabric.

FlutterbysandFlowers.com said...

Just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.
Laura