Tuesday, April 5, 2011

what should I do with these?...


With the big kids at school and the little ones enjoying themselves at Grandma's, I had a wonderful day browsing through op shops with my great friend, Chris (the one with this gorgeous laundry!) We drove ourselves across the city into an unfamiliar part of town and had great fun discovering at 6 huge charity shops (I was having so much fun I lost count). Part of the fun is always getting something you want at a bargain, but my favourite thing about visiting second hand shops is never knowing what you might stumble across. While the department stores and high street shops all follow the current trends and generally have the 'look' of the season, I love the way that there are no trends at an op shop and you can discover items from a huge range of eras.

There were a lot of things we could have purchased, but in an effort not to clutter up our homes or get on the wrong side of our husbands, we passed on most of it! I just couldn't walk past these old cake tins though and am now deciding what I should do with them. So far I have thought of removing the inner funnel, attaching a light fixture and hanging them upside down as pendant lamps, or drilling some drainage holes and planting some herbs in them. Any other ideas? What would you do with them?



Apart from the cake tins, my only purchases were a pretty doily and this little blue vase which is not in the best condition but I just fell in love with the colour. All in all, a very cheap and satisfying outing!


7 comments:

Just Martha said...

Hmmm, maybe cut the middle bit down and hang them on a wall outside...

Deb Di maggio said...

cut about 2 inches off the funnels in the middle, turn them upsidedown and make two lamps out of them. You could paint them too.

amandine said...

I would fill it with cement, let it dry,and turn it upside down and enjoy my new doorstopper.... What a great find!

Beach Vintage.com said...

You know me.......i would fill them with pretty shells!

Kellie Collis said...

Absolutely no idea. But I'm pretty sure you'd be able to come up with something really wonderful. Enjoy the lovely day, Kellie xx

Tara said...

Love the light fitting idea..xx

Catherine Hansen Peart said...

I was hoping someone knew exactly what they were for! I have one without the funnel and it is for making brioche but the funnel has me confused. Love the lampshade idea though.