Wednesday, June 1, 2011

a beautiful tutu...


My 10 year old daughter, Hannah, just loves ballet. She has been having lessons since she was three and never whinges about going (like I remember doing!), loves it when she her teachers are strict, and is constantly badgering me to do more classes. She no longer walks around the house - instead she chassés through the rooms, pirouettes around the furniture and does an arabesque when getting anything out of the fridge. This year we have agreed to let her participate in eisteddfods, which I have always been a bit wary of as I don't like seeing little girls too made up or being too competitive. However, Hannah convinced us that she would love to get extra feedback so that she can refine her techniques (she did not get that from me!) and since her ballet school encourages the girls participating to be very supportive of each other, we thought we would give it a go. So, we took ourselves off to an amazing dressmaker, Julia Fenton from Classically Costumed, and I was in fabric heaven. I see and use lots of beautiful fabrics, but usually just cotton and linen, and so to be surrounded by all these amazing silks, satins and laces in the most gorgeous colours was bliss. We thought it was going to be hard to choose, until this beautiful sea-green colour was pulled out and both Hannah and I fell in love with it. I'm so glad I left the tutu making to an expert as sewing with temperamental fabrics is not my favourite thing to do and I wouldn't have been clever enough to leave extra panels so it can all be let out as she grows.


Maybe I have secret tutu envy, but last night I finally took myself back to Adult ballet class after running out of excuses. I had previously attended for a year in between children #5 and #6 and it brought back lots of memories from my years of dancing. I had such a great time last night although my body didn't quite live up to expectations.... After 5 minutes I felt muscles that hadn't been used for quite a while. After 15 minutes the steps started coming back to me, although they were much more difficult than I remembered, and the extra padding on my derrière meant that lifting my leg up behind me without leaning forward was impossible. After 30 minutes we started centre work and I realised that I had been gripping onto the barre for dear life for the first half of the class. After 45 minutes I attempted a pirouette, only to find that my core strength was sadly lacking and I almost ended up on the floor. After 60 minutes I could no longer walk....

But, I will be back next week!





11 comments:

Millie said...

Clare, what a spectacular choice of fabric, Hannah's costume is too gorgeous! Keep up your classes & you'll be ballet fit in no time.
Millie x

Sandrine said...

Oh my goodness this tutu is Amazing!!!! All the best to your gorgeous girl!And good on you for taking dancing again.I started at 3 and stopped at at 2o something...I would be scared to try a split now :)Well done and keep the fun!
Sandrine x

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh that is a tutu to envy indeedy. Such amazing work & beautiful ballerina to boot. Love Posie

Keren - The Brown Trading Co. said...

Oh how beautiful!

I did ballet for 9 years along with tap and jazz not that you would know it these days eeekkk.

I do have a passion for ballet though - such a beautiful thing to watch.

Keren
xx

jamie said...

oh its beautiful. good for you for going back

Naturally Carol said...

Just awesome! Love her beauty and your courage!

mushcollection said...

What a beautiful Tutu!!!! My 5 year old daughter has her Ballet recital this weekend, she would die for a tutu like this. Good luck with your classes!

Rachael said...

Oh I remember you showing me that! it is gorgeous! Good on you for doing adult ballet classes too!

Rachael

BeachVintage.com said...

I started ballet when I was 5 and finished up when I was about 17. I loved every minute of it and I am sure it is what gave me my confidence in life.

Steph Bond Hutkin (Bondville) said...

I have tutu envy too! Good on you for giving it another go; you'll be back on the saddle in no time x

Catherine Hansen Peart said...

oh my gosh, I want that tutu!!