Tuesday, July 26, 2011

photocopying fabric...

There are lots of different things you can use when you run out of wrapping paper - newspaper, maps, and even aluminium foil. But one trick we sometimes use for small gifts is to photocopy fabric. We love our Canon all-in-one printer copiers which reproduce the colours pretty well. You can use just about any fabric you might have lying around or even iron out a favourite patterned skirt, dress or pillowcase! Just add ribbon or tape to finish the present off.


We have been experimenting with other uses for the beautiful paper that results from photocopied fabric. The idea for these paper boats came from the inspiring book Ganz in Liberty which is full of creative uses for liberty fabrics... we just wish we could read German! Wouldn't these boats look beautiful as place cards for a special party or even just sailing along a mantlepiece or sideboard? Paper chains and bunting can also be whizzed up quickly without having to take a trip to a shop for specialty papers.


So, get those machines warmed up and let us know what you make!

PS. If you need a refresher on how to make paper boats, you can find the instructions here.

9 comments:

loulou said...

I haven't experimented for the longest time with my printer and fabrics - I will definitely get playing again soon.

Thank you for your reminder

lovely posting - thank you

x
Loulou

cheryl said...

what a great idea!
never thought of this.
thankyou for sharing this.
cheryl xox.

Thea said...

Too clever! Maybe I should try this with our fabrics.

Brooke said...

Great idea. I wonder how I photocopy my Nan's carpet? It's amazing.

Printed fridge magnet said...

I also planning to do it with my colorful fabric. Your work is excellent and such a superb work done here. I really wonder to watch your work.

Posie Patchwork said...

STUNNING!! Just gorgeous work, love Posie

Sandrine said...

Clever clever!!!My mind is swirling by now :) That book looks amazing, I wonder if it will get translate in English?xx

Colourrich said...

What a great idea! Cheers x

WendyLovesDIY said...

What a great idea! I think I'm going to try to photocopy my floral bedspread & then make a wall hanging or cover a jewelry box or small piece of furniture to have it coordinate with the bedding. Also will make some paper pinwheels & put in a vase on my mantle. Thanks for sharing!