Wednesday, August 24, 2011

embroidery hoops + doilies = art...

I find it hard to walk past a pretty vintage doily in a thrift shop or garage sale as I love all the variations in the designs and the muted colours. Recently I bought myself a pile of different sized embroidery hoops in the sales and today I stretched a few pretty doilies to fill a blank spot on my living room wall. I tried not to stretch them too tight as I didn't want to force them out of shape, and I left the excess on the back rather than trimming it off so I can re-use them at a later date. I thought about painting the hoops but decided I liked the natural look. Nothing like a quick an easy decorating project for instant gratification!!!





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Now I know exactly what to do with my antique doilies! Thank you thank you! I even have a pile of hoops in the drawer. How come my creative brain didn't think of it first???

Sandrine said...

Gorgeous gorgeous Clare!! I also have few of them and you may have started a whole new trend there :)x

A-M said...

Clare, your talents take my breath away. They really do. A-M xx

lily-g said...

Clever girl!!! Really beautiful Clare. Love everything about it! The shapes, colours, textures and the obvious fact that each piece has it's own history.
Melinda

Lounging with a Latte said...

What a great idea...they look really good on your wall.

loulou said...

Hi Clare

Gorgeous things as always

Have a lovely day

x
Loulou

loulou said...

Hi Clare

Boo hoo hoo hoo -
I charity threw out all my old doilies a few years ago as I had the most massive draws full. Now I wish I kept them

have a lovely day

x
Loulou

Marie said...

Hope you speak french...
J'adore cette idée pour mettre en valeur les napperons de nos grands mères!
A bientôt