Thursday, August 11, 2011

keeping their toes warm...


I certainly can't complain about winters in Brisbane. For the last few weeks the days have been sunny and an almost balmy 23 degrees - almost like summer temperatures in some parts of the world. However, it does cool down at night and, as our draughty old home is not heated, I totally understand why my children are reluctant to get out of their beds in the mornings. My two biggest girls have wanted a rug in their room for ages but I have been reluctant to buy them one - partly because we are (hopefully) renovating soon and they will get a bigger room, and partly because I am commitment-phobic when it comes to buying rugs. My problems? I don't like a whole lot of pattern on my floors, I change the accent colours in a room often, and the neutral toned rugs are sometimes hard to clean and/or scratchy! So, when I found this pretty crocheted throw for $2 in a thrift shop, I knew it would be the perfect stand-in. With a non-slip protecter underneath to keep it in place, it fits perfectly between their beds and is keeping their toes warm while they choose their clothes. It also matches their Greengate quilts beautifully.

4 comments:

Ine said...

What a treasure!If only 23 degrees was a stable summer temperature I would be happy, ha ha 23 degrees on a good summer's day where I am on Norway's west caost..And just the thought of a house without heating makes me shiver.. Enjoy the rug!

Samantha said...

What a great find, it looks lovely.

Posie Patchwork said...

Gorgeous rug, love it!! I agree, rugs are so much harder to clean as well. Love your Brisbane weather, lucky i get to visit frequently to see my husband as Canberra, brrr, my husband comes home to freeze as it's -6C & he goes into shock!! We don't mind, we spent plenty of time in Darwin, now that is a gorgeous way to spend Winter, in the Dry season perfection. Love Posie

Anonymous said...

Cute room..

Erika