Wednesday, November 2, 2011

a chair makeover...



A couple of weeks ago I spotted this cane chair in one of my local thrift shops. The interesting detailing caught my eye and I was very pleased to find that it was still there when I returned a few days later. I had parked my car a little distance from the thrift shop and as I was lugging it along, trying to avoid bumping into people, I was stopped by a very nice, immaculately dressed lady who admired my purchase and said what a great find it was! Hooray!

I considered painting the chair a lovely bright shade but opted for the safety and versatility of white in the end. I'm very pleased with the end result - a matte, milky finish which was just what I was after. I have added a bit of colour with one of our new mondocherry cushions in my favourite colour way (sea glass) which perfectly matches my new lamps - a birthday present from my husband, Clare and Mum.

the before...

the after...


10 comments:

M said...

The chair is beautiful, Joy! But, please, please, please tell me where I can source on of your birthday lamps...

M
xxo

Catherine Hansen Peart said...

My Mum has one of these types of chairs (it was originally from her mother). I might see if she might let me give it a makeover next time I am home. I always thought it would look good painted!

the happy sparrow said...

great chair Joy! looks lovely! :) Martine

Sally said...

I would also love to know where I can purchase the lamp.
SLF

Cassie said...

It's so lovely! It would go wonderfully with my 'swirl stools' (http://shethrifts.blogspot.com/2011/05/just-little-purchase.html) ;oP
I too have been tempted to go with a bright colour for my stools, but white is just so classic and fresh!

mondocherry said...

Hi M and Sally The lamp came from Crate Expectations in Malvern. They are very good at ordering things in that they don't have so give them a call or email them the photo. Good luck!
Joy

A-M said...

Gorgeous Joy! You have the magic touch. A-M xx

Something Gorgeous said...

Well done. you are very clever. Love it.

Sandrine said...

Well done Joy! such a pretty corner to curl up with a nice book!x

B is building a house said...

Love the lamp!!!