Sunday, December 18, 2011

teacher presents and gingerbread houses...





Although our mondocherrry work has slowed down considerably as we prepare for Christmas, it hasn't stopped me from stitching, beading, cutting and wrapping as I prepare some little Christmas thank you gifts for the wonderful kindergarten teachers that have taught my children this year. I created the packaging by folding baking paper and stitching up the sides to make a little envelope. I love wrapping with baking paper as I adore the sort of semi-see-through effect it creates. The little birds tags, created from recycled vintage illustrations, also look great hung from a twiggy branch in a vase. You can purchase these from our website if you are interested!

Feeling well and truly in the holiday spirit I decided to attempt my first ever gingerbread house yesterday from scratch, after lots of pleading from my son. An epic fail!!! The gingerbread was too soft, the icing wasn't sticky enough and the walls caved in....those things are tricky! I would love to hear any tips you have on gingerbread houses for if I am feeling brave enough to attempt one next year!

Off to the Christmas carols tonight to take time with my family to stop and reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.


Joy


9 comments:

stricksonne said...

ich wünsche dir einen schönen 4. advent!!! die geschenkpäckchen sehen sehr schön aus, liebe grüße, angie

Unknown said...

Hi Joy,
Regarding the gingerbread house...I had the same disaster last year! Have you seen Sweetopia.net. There is a complete video on how to make a gingerbread house. Hope this helps.
x Maureen, Brisbane

Kerri Winder Designs said...

I love this....it looks so effective! I'll definitely be trying this in the future x

Laura said...

The paper birds are just adorable!!!
~Laura
FlutterbysandFlowers.com

Vicki said...

Baking paper!?!? They look fabulous!! Lucky teachers :) Merry Christmas Ladies.

Vicki

rockmelon said...

Hi Joy, i made 16 gingerbread houses this year (8 with my kids and their frinds and 8 for thank you gifts with hubby assisting) and there are a few tricks. Make sure you have a reliable recipe i posted my recipe on my blog on December 13 (or use the search box). First tip take the gingerbread put of the oven when it is still a little soft but as it cools it must be firm and i recommend baking the day before. Secondly the icing is unbelieveably thick (i burnt out the motor in my beater a few years back) if unsure pipe a line od icing and leave for 20 mins should be rock hard otherwise add more icing sugar. Don't give up they are a wonderful tradition. Rochelle

Mariângela Maciel said...

Querida Amiga
Que o seu Natal seja cheio de Paz e alegria. Que Jesus nasça na sua família. Deus os abençoe!

Espero nos encontrarmos mais no próximo ano.

FELIZ NATAL E UM ANO NOVO COM MUITAS REALIZAÇÕES!

Mariângela-Brasil

deebee said...

My mum and I also did our first gingerbread house this year - was so much fun!! Our gingerbread was a little soft to begin with so we put it back in the oven until it got firmer. We used royal icing and really beat it to stiff peaks. Other hints - icing hides a multitude of sins - if you look at my blog you'll see pics of ours - I think our house must have survived a blizzard the amount of 'snow' that was around. Mini meringues make wonderful snow. Good luck for the one you make next year! Love the wrapping idea too...so creative!

paige said...

via pinterest i came to your blog (love it) & wanted to give you a recipe that we utilized during my 4th graders gingerbread house making event. royal icing is what is most recommended, but with the egg whites and number of kids i didn't feel safe utilizing it. came across a vegan recipe, which i might add did wonderful! here's the link http://www.goodbaker.com/free-recipes-royal-icing.html
enjoy!