Monday, January 30, 2012

loving my conservatory...


One of the main reasons we chose our new rental home here in Melbourne was for the fabulous outside space, particularly the slightly run-down but still very usable, tennis court. The kids have been loving hitting balls over the net, playing games of cricket and chase-y, riding their bikes and scooters around and generally getting lots of exercise. The area works particularly well because of the conservatory that was built as a later addition to the house to link the inside living areas with the outside. Conservatories are not particularly common in Australia - especially not where we were in Queensland where all that glass would be like living in a sauna! It has been too hot for comfort some days this month, but I think it will be particularly lovely in the colder months of the year. I can see myself (maybe in my dreams!) enjoying a cup of tea and a flick through some magazines on the day bed.


I'm not quite sure how I am meant to clean all the glass!..

The view from inside the living room...

I can't wait to take a trip to a big garden centre and plant up lots of pots of sun-loving plants which I'm sure will thrive in the conservatory. Know any good ones in Melbourne's east?...

An old dresser/hutch which my husband's grandparents brought over from Canada with them when they emigrated has found a place on an end wall...

The blue colour scheme started when I spotted this gorgeous rug in Les Salles before I left Brisbane. It is made from recycled plastic and so is very sturdy and can even be hosed down if (or more likely when) needed...

9 comments:

F said...

Such a beautiful space. I grew up in the northern hemisphere and loved the conservatories over there. I would love to have a room like that, but as you say it would be unbearable due to the heat in Brisbane. Your house in Melbourne looks lovely, and you have made it a home so quickly!

Lounging with a Latte said...

What a lovely room and outlook. I hope you do get to enjoy the space with a cuppa and a mag sometime!

Special 'K' said...

Your furniturings are divine. My first visit here to your special space, I will follow on my way out as I am sure I will enjoy engaging and supporting your special place now I have found you,I hope you will find the some time to come visit me some time. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Heidi said...

Lucky you to have so much space! What a lovely conservatory as well, I love the rug. I found "Going Going Green" on Burwood Rd, Hawthorn to be great for plants. Big selection of pots as well. Otherwise there is Town & Country Gardens. They have two locations, one in Balwyn and the other in Malvern somewhere (I think, can't really remember as I went to it a few years ago). All very nice and worth a look. And if you're ever around High St Armadale, then pop into Julian Ronchi. He has beautiful things.

stampernancy@hotmail.com said...

what a beautiful space! lovely to see the piece all the way from Canada being used. I plan to visit Australia (from Canada)in the next year or so but won't bring anything larger than my largest suitcase!

Something Gorgeous said...

That room looks so peaceful and comfortable, love the blue and white colour scheme as it always works.
We’ve tagged you in a game of tag. It’s just a bit of fun to learn more about you, please don’t feel obligated to play. http://somethinggorgeous.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/weve-been-tagged.html

kirill said...

http://conscientious.jigsy.com/

kirill said...

http://conscientious.jigsy.com/

Garden Leisure said...

This is such a lovely conservatory, one of the nicest I've seen. I really like the way you've used conservatory cane furniture Birmingham, but made it more modern with the white fabric and the blue rug.