Monday, April 16, 2012

IKEA hack - children's play shop



Our old Ikea change table has been gathering dust in our shed since my kids grew out of nappies and I have had the idea for quite some time of turning it into a play shop/ marketstall. On Sunday afternoon we finally got around to completing this little project which only took a couple of hours to create. My husband sawed off the legs of the changetable to ensure it was a suitable height and then whipped up a little frame for the canopy I had sewn.

My two children were super excited and quickly started filling the shop with all sort of goodies - felt flowers (which I had previously made) and various felt and wooden cakes, donuts, fruits and vegetables. I have visited their little shop quite frequently this morning! With big brother back at prep for the first day of term 2, unfortunately I am the only customer today!


Although this particular shop sells its cakes at quite a hefty price ( I just spent "$700" for a donut! ) it is certainly providing hours of entertainment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!

beachcomber said...

SO cute!! love :)
x

Kate Lewis-Driver said...

aww what a great idea!!

Anette Ryan said...

Love the shop! Not so much their prices though ;)
Anette :-)

Jeanie Phillips said...

They need the Fruit Cutting Set from Celadon Road! It's made from all-natural, earth-friendly rubberwood and has child-safe paint. It would go great with that adorable shop. Love it!

Ellieboo said...

What a fantastic job - love it. And you've got me inspired....I have one an old change table in the garage too. Now it will only be another 2 years till I get around to it - ha ha

Laura said...

Hey sweetie! You have a very beautiful blog with a lot of inspiring posts! I'd like to invite you to be my friend and follow each other:)

Trish said...

Hi, This is gorgeous but I am just wondering how you made the canopy? Can you help on this one?