Thursday, May 10, 2012

Harvey's Lego party...

 


Over the weekend we celebrated my son, Harvey's 6th birthday with a Lego themed party.  Harvey, like many boys his age, is absolutely Lego mad and designing a party around this theme was such fun and wonderfully colourful!


As the guests arrived one by one they sat at the play table to design and build a Lego car that was used in the first game - a car race down a ramp.  It is always a good idea with this age group to have an activity planned which occupies them until the final guest has arrived, and keeps them occupied until the real games begin.


Other games included sucking up pieces of Lego on the end of a straw and into a container ( this one proved quite challenging! ), Lego man and spoon race, duplo throw into buckets, pin the Lego symbol onto the Lego man, pass the parcel and the four corners game.  I had a running sheet with the games listed with a few extra up my sleeve in case their were needed!



As it was an afternoon party, I kept the food fairly simple, Lego sandwiches, Lego cupcakes, popcorn in Lego coloured boxes, fruit etc.  The food side of things is not really my speciality.  I can 'make' but I can't 'bake' !   That being said, I am very lucky to have a wonderful husband who makes all the birthday cakes in our family.  He did a fantastic job creating two Lego brick cakes which Harvey was absolutely thrilled with.


I made the take home bags using bright shiny gift bags in the Lego colours and then cut out some 'lego bricks' from card, using round circles with raised foam sticky dots to decorate.  I also used this technique for the bunting.  Plastic plates and paper straws in bright Lego colours were used.  The big yellow Lego sorter made an eye catching centrepiece and clear vases of Lego added to the colourful decorations.



Parties at home often require a lot of effort and planning and can certainly be messy and exhausting.  However we all had such a great time and most importantly Harvey loved it...and at least we have a year before we do it all again!


9 comments:

Tamsyn said...

I love this!! You carried the lego theme through brilliantly. I especially love the bunting and the lego sandwiches.

Pinned for future inspiration!!

Something Gorgeous said...

How creative!! He is a lucky boy. You have put a lot of time and effort creating a memorable for him. I love the birthday cake. G.x

Thea said...

You always come up with such brilliant ideas! I'm sure they all had lots of fun too.

Kerstin said...

What an original theme! I can't wait to see what you come up with next time!

Maja said...

This is awesome! It is sometimes hard to find a universal theme that will be appealing both for girls and boys at that age, but they all like Lego. And even more awesome that you have a husband who bakes. Now that is something!
Maja xx

Porch Days said...

You went all out on this party. Lovely! Where on earth did you get the huge lego head? Well done!

rosaliaa said...

what a great idea for boys! it's a pity taht you haven't shown how to make this cakes

Anonymous said...

My spοuse and І abѕolutely love yοur blog and find almost all of yοur post's to be exactly what I'm looking for.
cаn уou offeг gueѕt ωritеrs to ωrite сontent in уour case?
I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome blog!
My website :: ideas for birthday party

Karen said...

Is that fondant on the Lego cakes? Did you have to dye it to get it green and yellow? Thanks!