Monday, May 28, 2012

my dream vs. reality...



A hallway or entrance room should be welcoming and tidy, giving you a taste of the rest of the house and the personality of the inhabitants while remaining uncluttered and serene...hmmmmm....not always the case in my house! The rental home we are living has a fantastically large entrance and while there are some things I would change if it were mine (lighting and floors come to mind, although the ugly grey vinyl is very practical!) it is still a great space. However, although it is the main entrance for our busy family of 8 and for visitors, it does not always live up to the welcoming, serene ideal.

Here is what our hall looks like on a good day...


And here is not such a good day (I couldn't bear to post an image or even take a photo of a really bad day!)...


and here's the breakdown...

1. bag of stuff for Joy.
2. large pile of paperwork (waiting to be signed and sent back to school or transferred to the diary) and drawings kids have put there. No pretty flowers.
3. jumpers and jackets hanging from stair post and piles of stuff on the stairs waiting to go up to kids' bedrooms.
4. ballet bag with contents spilling out. Books. Tiny little toys that hurt when you stand on them with bare feet.
5. the smelly zone - school bags, sports bags etc, dumped on arrival even though they have a specific place to live, often with week-old squashed bananas and socks that haven't made it to the wash in ages.
6. coat rack piled with jackets - all on the same hook for some strange reason.
7. boots left where they were taken off and a pile of sand from the feet of child who played in sandpit at kindy.
8. tissue box with tissues pulled out - I was too scared to look if they have been used or not!
9. my handbag and shoes - not all the kids' fault...
10. balloons tied to a pair of scissors. Why???


Do you have the same struggles as I do with your hall or entrance? Any tips?

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Your entrance way is beautiful, even when lived in. I have just been admiring your gorgeous website.x

Something Gorgeous said...

Looks really inviting to me! Don't change a thing!. G.x

Lalla Tomelilla said...

Your entrance is beautiful, also in the second picture. :)
But I understand what you mean, in my house is the same...
My boyfriend says women have to understand that a house is not a showroom (I hope translation is good). :)
Maybe he is right, isn't he?

Anya said...

Love your entrance: the colours, the light, and especially the display of your works. And I have to agree with others - it looks beautiful even when not all tidy-tidy.

We have a tiny square (~6'x6') of an entrance and I am struggling to find a way to decorate it without cluttering too much. It's a never-ending work in progress for me.

Mrs. Sutton said...

This post is HILARIOUS because I share your pain - but I have to admit, that your entrance hall looks pretty fabulous to me despite the signs of 'real life inhabitants'! I laugh because my Mother-in-law is always commenting on how neat our entrance hall is - little does she know that it's a feat of Olympian proportions to get everything picked up and kicked into the nearest cupboard on hearing a car pull up on the drive - EVERY time!
Paula x

Jane said...

What a beautiful entrance to your home you have created - neat and messy!! I struggle with 3 little people every day. I recently just hung some more hooks, and I have large baskets for shoes hoping it will help.... sometimes it does... x
Jane