Thursday, June 21, 2012

meet the newest members of the family...



Introducing Rascal and Dusty, the newest members of our family. They came to us from the Kindy that my daughter Jemima goes to, where the kids had been watching them grow from just a few days old. When it was time for the mummy rabbit and her 6 babies to go back to the farm, we made a very last minute decision to take a couple home with us. My children actually wanted all six (one for each child) but that was just going to be too many to fit into my already chaotic household! The bunnies are now about 6 weeks old and are getting very brave at exploring the house and are slowly toilet training themselves. Phew! I've been reading up on the internet about having rabbits around the house (all new to me as when Joy and I had bunnies when we were young they lived on the grass outside) and it seems like there is lots to learn, so if any one has any tried and tested tips I would love to hear them!

This is Rascal, named because he is the one who likes to explore and get into everything. Here he is discovering my geraniums which have now been moved outside as I understand they don't agree with little bunnies' tummies!

Dusty's name has changed multiple times since we got him home.. Flopsy might be a more accurate name for him since he has a permanently floppy ear which makes him look very cute.



By the way, I have a new found respect for animal photographers... these bunnies didn't sit still for more than a moment and I ended up with dozens of blurry shots. Children are easier I think!


6 comments:

Sarah B said...

They're absolutely adorable! I have no bunny advice - as much as I love them I have never owned one...yet :)

Cynthia said...

Oh... So beautiful! Careful with the wires, because they can bite! rsrs

Kisses!

The Distressed Mother said...

They are so gorgeous! Wish we were allowed to have them in Qld.

TDM xx

Anonymous said...

Way too cute & pretty!
Enjoy your Little sweeties.
Paige

DaiseyB said...

Your Bunnies are Adorable. Go to theraspberryrabbits.com and from there you can get to her blog. I follow her posts daily and her Rabbits have the run of the house. I bet she could give you lots of information. Good luck with your new kids.

Mike said...

The rabbits are really cute. I love their names and the stories behind their names. I wish I had a pet rabbit. Although I do have a dog so I guess that's not that bad.