Sunday, September 2, 2012

the magic of magnolias...


Hooray, it's Spring - my very favourite season. This is the first Spring we have spent in this house in Melbourne and so I am enjoying seeing the garden come to life. Someone really loved this garden at some point planting lots of bulbs as daffodils, jonquils, freesias and hyacinths are springing up in clusters in all the flower beds. But my favourite thing in the garden so far has to be the amazing magnolia trees in the front garden.  Since we moved in last December they have been ugly, almost dead-looking trees with hardly a leaf to be seen. But a couple of weeks ago they exploded into flower and what a show they have put on. Magnolias are such a stately, elegant flowers aren't they? The contrast of the pink underneath and white upper petals is spectacular and while I'll be sad when the trees finish flowering, I think I appreciate them all the more for the briefness of their season.



2 comments:

Zara said...

Oh they are stunning. One of my favourite flowers.
x

ross: stitch designer said...

meraviglioso....
ciao
ross