Thursday, October 18, 2012

a boy and a girl...

With my background in early childhood teaching, I have always been very conscious of not stereotyping boys and girls. When my son was born I gave him a 'home corner' with play food and a tea set, a doll, and plenty of dress ups, as well as cars, trains and constructions toys Once my daughter joined our family, I encouraged her to play with Lego, run around with a ball and get dirty, and build train tracks. However, I have somehow managed to end up with a very 'girly' girl and and typical 'boyish' boy! Here are some photos that I snapped the other day which illustrate my children perfectly....

My daughter loves to wear pretty clothes and accessories...

A doll that combines a few of her favourite things - princesses, pink and shiny things...


A dress up wardrobe with pastel frilly ballet skirts...

A sparkly wand...


My son getting dirty...

A boyish self portrait...

An obsession with Lego... not too bad like this....

But it often looks more like this...

And then of course there is footy!....

I love watching the personalities of my children develop and to see how different they are!



4 comments:

Amy R said...

Hi Joy, I have been following your blog for a while and quite enjoy the reality of it - kids and all. I have a total "boy" and what I am sure will be a total "girly girl" on the way. My little fella's fave saying is "dig hole!!" Love the post.
Ax

Naturally Carol said...

I remember having the same non-sexist ambitions when my first was born. On his first birthday we took him to a toy shop and thought we'd buy him whatever he was attracted to..trucks or dolls. Even then he went straight to the digging machines and the footballs!

Katherine Wolak said...

Lovely duo! :) You are so lucky girl!

Hugs,

blogolicious Editoriolista said...

Hello from Greece (yeap, quite far).I enjoy your blog and your aesthetic. Nice to have a good family! (a wanna be mommy-hope soon)