Sunday, November 18, 2012

a fashionable party...

The new Mathilda's Magazine is out and featured on page 44 is a party I held for my eleven year old daughter earlier this year.  We brainstormed ideas for a party theme for ages - we've done pink, princesses, flower, and a garden tea party over the years and this year she wanted something a little more grown up. We finally hit on a "funky fashion' party which was loads of fun to put together and actually one of the easier ones to plan!

Decorating was simple as we decided to go with classic (and classy) black and white with a touch of fuchsia to liven things up. I rolled out spotty wrapping paper over the black and white tablecloths (this made cleaning up a breeze too) and we decorated the walls with clothes and accessories I made from old newspapers.




The invitations were little round boxes found in a craft store that we painted. Inside we tucked a tiny felt hat that I had stitched in front of my favourite tv shows to give the girls a taste of the party. The party details were printed on a circle of card stuck to the inside of the box.


Take home bags involved more painting (I farm out these jobs to the kids!) and the white paint pen 'stitching' finished them off perfectly. These bags had a pocket in the front for a photo - before the gueats left to go home we slipped in a crazy photo of each one taken during the party .



The main attraction was a photo booth which we set up using an old board, rolls of photo frame wrapping paper, our trusty iMac with it's photobooth program and an old trunk filled with a weird and wonderful selection of dress ups. There was everything from parasols and feather boas, to animal masks and cardboard moustaches! The girls spent ages dressing up and posing, all of which involved plenty of giggling.




We played a few games including a dress-up relay and a treasure hunt which involved solving fashion puzzles in different areas of the house which we had labeled with the names of famous fashion houses. For example, the girls had to match different styles of dress with the eras they were from and sort through a variety of photos from a red carpet event and work out who was the 'best dressed' and the 'worst dressed' according to the critics.


I love to have a craft activity at the parties I hold for my children. I find it settles things down, gives everyone a chance to chat and gives me a quiet moment or two to get food ready or organise the next activity. For this party I found out the shoe sizes of everyone who was coming and bought cheap canvas shoes ($5 each!) which the girls painted. They had an absolute ball doing this activity and I know a number of the girls have been wearing their personalised shoes regularly.


For more details and photos pop over to the Mathilda's Magazine here.



8 comments:

Faygie Fellig said...

best party ever! love it

the happy sparrow said...

So much fun! :) Martine

Darcy McNairy said...

Love this idea! Might have to steal this for my almost 11-year old. Thanks so much for sharing all your wonderful ideas.

Md Rajon said...

This is an awesome blog.Continue to keep up the very good operate. I completely enjoyed reading your blog.

ipad Video

Md Rajon said...


This is an awesome blog.Continue to keep up the very good operate. I completely enjoyed reading your blog.

Unlimited Movies

Md Rajon said...

This is an awesome blog.Continue to keep up the very good operate. I completely enjoyed reading your blog.

Special Effect

Md Rajon said...

This is an awesome blog.Continue to keep up the very good operate. I completely enjoyed reading your blog.

Forex

Md Rajon said...

This is an awesome blog.Continue to keep up the very good operate. I completely enjoyed reading your blog.

Stock Commissions