Tuesday, March 5, 2013

3 balls of wool - my diy headboard...


I love a big master bedroom! We are very lucky to have a spacious one in this rental house in Melbourne, but it has been surprising hard to decorate as the walls, high ceiling and built in cupboards are all painted a very yellow-y cream and the flooring is a hard grey vinyl. The fresh white and yellow I used in my last house looked rather sickly so I needed to add some interest to stop it all looking a little blah. I am still on the lookout for a big rug to break up the expanse of grey floor (any ideas welcome please!), but in the meantime decided to add a bit of colour and texture to the wall behind the bed as it is the first thing you see as you open the door.

Artwork would have been the obvious solution, but the curvy shape of my bedhead makes it a little tricky to balance out and not being able to hammer nails in the wall meant that I would be having nightmares every night about getting knocked out by falling frames! So I repurposed two old sheets of pegboard that we had stashed in the garage, sprayed it with silver piant and got to work with a couple of balls of wool. I tried a cross stitch type pattern at first but it didn't have quite the graphic impact I wanted. So I ended up doing a sort of long stitch in a diamond and chevron design. It was a bit fiddly trying to reach behind the large piece of pegboard so I found the quickest and easiest method was to stand the board upright and have my eldest daughter on the back side feeding the needle and wool back through the holes. These children of mine are very patient with my crazy ideas!




I am happy with the way it has turned out and it certainly breaks up all the cream! I can easily cut off the pink if I change my colur scheme and replace it with something else, or unpick it all and change the design.  


Clare x

11 comments:

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Very nice Clare. You house would be fascinating for a home magazine.

Japolina said...

OMG! THat is genius. I love it.

Amanda said...

What a clever idea and what an impact your new headboard artwork makes! x

JadeCade said...

This is a very good idea, surely want to try it one day ;)

Hey Mickey said...

What an amazing idea . Looks fabulous!

Rachel Callaghan said...

Pegboard idea - excellent! About the rug - do you have Big Save Furniture in Australia? I don;t know how to post the link, but one of the blogs I follow talks about Chevron rugs - quite cheap and cheerful, and big. had a pale grey stripe as one option. The blog is Cush and Nooks, it was 15 Feb 2013 post. I would love one myself but nowhere to put one!! Would also look good on a wall - now there's an idea!! RCx

Rachel Callaghan said...

Excellent idea, Clare - looks fantastic! About the rug - do you have Big Save Furniture in Australia? Not sure how to link, but a blog I follow shows some of the chevron rugs. I think the pale grey stripe would look great. Cheap and cheerful and big. Could also use on a wall come to think of it!! Try Cush and Nooks, 15 Feb 2013 post. Good luck! Rx

In The Night Sky said...

What a great idea, looks fantastic!

Scandi Coast Home said...

I am sincerely impressed by your inventiveness. I also think you're teaching this to your children which is amazing......;O)
Tania xx

Le BHCH said...

looks a million bucks and a great idea for rental properties :) Le

Karrie Kaneda said...

this is so amazingly creative! i had to keep taking second looks to see how it worked. LOVE this.